Say goodbye to dry presentations, grueling formulas, and abstract theory that would put Einstein to sleep--now there's an easier way to master chemistry, biology, trigonometry, and geometry. McGraw-Hill's Demystified Series teaches complex subjects in a unique, easy-to-absorb manner and is designed for users without formal training, unlimited time, or genius IQs.
Organized like self-teaching guides, they come complete with key points, background information, questions at the end of each chapter, and final exams. There's no better way to gain instant expertise!
ABOUT BIOLOGY DEMYSTIFIED:
* A college biology professor presents the fundamental facts, concepts, and principles of biology in an attractive and amusing framework
* Great for anyone with an interest in biology, biotechnology, medicine, or the environment
* Coverage includes both the anatomy and physiology of organisms as well as ecology and environmental relationships between organisms
* Includes a pronunciation guide for difficult biological terms
Table of contents
PART 1: GETTING READY FOR BIOLOGY
Chapter 1. The Coming of Biology
Chapter 2. Patterns of Life
Chapter 3. Evolution: From Dawn to Darwin
Test: Part 1
PART 2: THE UNIVERSAL BUILDING BLOCKS OF LIFE
Chapter 4. Chemicals: The Tiniest Blocks
Chapter 5. Cells: The "Little Chambers" in Plants and Animals
Test: Part 2
PART 3: THE FIVE KINGDOMS OF LIFE, PLUS VIRUSES
Chapter 6. Bacteria and the "Homeless" Viruses
Chapter 7. The Protists: "First of All"
Chapter 8. The Fungi: Not Just Mushrooms!
Chapter 9. The Plants: "Kings and Queens" of the World of Green
Chapter 10. Invertebrates As Special Animals: "Have You No Spine?"
Chapter 11. The Arthropods: No Jointed Backbone, but "Jointed Feet"
Chapter 12. The Chordata: Animals with a "Chord" In Their "Back"
Test: Part 3
PART 4: ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF ANIMALS
Chapter 13. Skins and Skeletons
Chapter 14. The Neuromuscular (Nerve-Muscle) Connection
Chapter 15. Glands and Their Hormone Messengers
Chapter 16. Blood and the Circulatory System
Chapter 17. Immune and Lymphatic Systems: "The Best Survival Offense Is a Good Defense!"
Chapter 18. The Respiratory System: Breath of Life
Chapter 19. "Getting the Goodies": Nutrition and the Digestive System
Chapter 20. Urine and (Gulp!) Sex in Animals
Test: Part 4
Appendix: Answers to Quiz, Test, and Final Exam Questions
Dr. Dale Layman (Joliet, IL) is a Professor of Biology and Human Anatomy & Physiology at Joliet Junior College. A resident of Joliet, Illinois, Dr. Layman is a frequent author with many international honors and awards. He has more than 28 years of experience in the field of biological sciences.
Back cover copy
UNDERSTAND BIOLOGY -- WITHOUT DISSECTING ANYTHING!
If you¡¯re years removed from your last high school biology class -- or if you¡¯re just starting out as a student -- here¡¯s a fast, effective and entertaining way to learn the fundamental facts and concepts of biology.
Written in straightforward, easy-to-grasp language, Biology Demystified will help you understand basic and applied scientific information. As a result, you¡¯ll gain "instant expertise" in biology -- even if you¡¯ve had no previous formal training in the sciences. The author, an experienced biology professor, uses a host of clever techniques to help you soak up what you really need to know, including:
* Presenting "big picture" principles first -- followed by the details
* More than 150 illustrations for solid grounding in basic life sciences
* "Biological Order vs. Disorder" icons for easy category recognition
* A pronunciation guide for difficult biology terms
* Frequent self-testing and reviews to help you retain information
* The original Latin/Greek meanings of many biological terms with entertaining and informative illustrations
* And much, much more!
So if you¡¯re looking for a deeper understanding of the world around you, let Biology Demystified be your shortcut!